Management refers to the art of dealing with situations as well as the process of controlling things, processes and people. You would now understand that management involves a lot of interlocking functions. However, how effectively these are handled depends on the skills of a person. This is referred to as Management Skills.
Management Skills- An Overview
Management skill actually is a carpet term that is used to refer to an array of skills that are applied across various situations in life as well as in the organization you run or work for. You must, however, understand that the managerial skill that is required to manage different functions tend to vary depending on what you are expected to do in that situation or position in an organization. For example, an event manager must have the skill to orchestrate the flow of the event, a secretary must have Management skills that would ensure that the office processes are handled smoothly.
Management skills for success
Some of the common Management skills that can make you a successful person in life as well as in the organization you manage or work for include
- Planning– Whether it is achieving your goals in day to day life or achieving business targets, planning is the key. The plan would be the blueprint that would help you strive to achieve the goal. It would also help you in analyzing and garnering all the help you would need to achieve the goal.
- Communication- This is a very important skill especially when it comes to getting the co-operation of all the people involved in helping you to pursue your goal.
- Decision- making– Indecisiveness is not an attribute that will contribute to effective management. The right decision made at the right time is critical in ensuring success.
- Delegation– This refers to the process of being able to get the right person to do the right job. This means a person with Management skills that are effective would not hold all the work to himself but would feel free to delegate the work to others in such a manner that the goal is achieved easily and effectively.
- Problem- solving ability– Problems are likely to manifest in different forms and ways in your day to day life as well as at the workplace. Management skills of a person can be measured in terms of the ability of the person to identify, analyze, find the best way to handle it, and sort out the problem even in the most adverse situation.
- Motivational skills– This refers to both the ability to keep oneself motivated to achieve the goal as well as to be able to motivate others using intrinsic and extrinsic cues to achieve the goal. Motivation is a managerial skill that would bring forth the best in a person.
- Time-management skills– Time and tide wait for none goes the saying. In order to be a good manager in an organization as well as to manage your day to day activities effectively, you need to have time management skills. This is indeed one of the important skills that can lead you to success. Luckily, you can use a tool such as time tracking software to help you achieve greater efficiency and better time management.
Since management skills include attributes and abilities that can be acquired through practice and experience, it is indeed very helpful in achieving success.