Step inside any modern office and you’ll be likely to find these everywhere: glass partitions, walls, and windows. Glass seems to be one of the most popular building materials around when it comes to making any sort of modern space because combined with other materials, glass can give your space a more sophisticated look. Glass is also very versatile and can be used for anything, from glass walls to partitions to even a glass curtain in Singapore!
For a modern and urban city like Singapore, glass is used in almost every home and office space. If you’re planning to renovate your home, why not try out a glass wall or door to help liven up your space?
Glass in your office spaces
Picture the last office you’ve been to and list down the various ways in which glass is used to add aesthetic to the environment. You may think of the automatic sliding door that is common in many offices in Singapore, or even the simple glass walls that divide cubicles and rooms. Many old offices are choosing to replace solid or opaque walls and barriers with glass. Why is that?
Before we get into that, let’s first look at the glass partitions and what they are exactly. Glass partitions are interior wall structures that are made primarily of glass or an alternative that resembles glass. Glass partitions or panels are usually paired with metal frames or structures to create walls. While of superior quality, glass walls or partitions are non-load bearing materials, meaning that they cannot be used to support anything but their own weight.
So why are they so popular then? These partitions are used in everything from making automatic sliding doors to room dividers. Sometimes, you can even find many rooms with walls that are all made of glass. Are relatively delicate dividers actually worth it?
Well, the short answer is yes. They’re mostly used for the aesthetic, and many offices with glass partitions in Singapore are some of the most beautiful that you can find. Not only can you see them used in conference rooms and offices, but glass walls are also even making their way to people’s bathrooms, living rooms, and other residential spaces.
Should I consider using glass walls for my office renovation project?
If you want your office to look updated and modern, a glass partition or wall should be at the of your list of priorities when building. But is it really all that worth it? Let’s explore the pros of having glass partitions in your space.
Advantages of glass walls
1) Glass walls look more professional. Most of us already associate glass walls with ultramodern offices, so using glass partitions will associate your brand with that image. If you’re going for a professional look, glass is a very useful building material.
2) Makes your space look much bigger than it actually is. Not all companies have room for huge offices. If you’ve got a small office space, then you have to make do with what you have. But that doesn’t mean you have to live with small office spaces that you even have to divide into rooms because you need multiple rooms with different functions. Glass partitions can make your spaces appear much bigger because they aren’t solid barriers. This way, your spaces can look much less suffocating.
3) Glass walls can lower the consumption of electricity. Don’t know how it does that? Glass walls can achieve this because, unlike solid barriers, they will not prevent the passage of light between divided spaces or rooms. Thus, light from multiple spaces can still be used even with the partitions.
4) They are durable and long-lasting. Unlike other types of walls, glass can still look great even after a long time. While you may need to touch up or repaint your typical drywall, glass walls, if taken care of, can be cleaned and maintained and they’ll be just like new.
5) Easily removed and replaced. Got a problem with your glass divider that you want to fix or replace? It’s easy! Many glass walls are designed to be easily removable or replaceable. Compare that to your average divider or wall, where you have to have major remodeling or other costly services for you to fix or renovate them.
6) Much cheaper. Want to cut on costly office renovations? Then glass should be a sure bet for you. It’s a readily available material that can be found in many forms, which means that it is a highly customisable and cost-effective alternative than your average wall.
7) Better acoustics. Wait, so we’ve discussed how glass partitions are better than solid walls. What are its advantages compared to open offices with no barriers, then? Well, people love the look of open offices, but often complain about it regarding the excessive noise. Noise control is one of the biggest issues of open offices. When you need a quiet environment where you can do work that eats up your concentration, noise can be a big nightmare. You can compromise on the appearance of an open office vs. having a quiet environment by building glass partitions that can be effective in drowning out the noise.
So what are you waiting for? It’s never a bad idea to consider a glass partition for your house or office. There are many types of glass dividers for you to explore, from simple walls to glass pane types, to even soundproof glass partitions that can give you a quieter office. They are highly customisable, and you can even pair them with glass doors for a better look.
Want to learn how to make your space stand out? Check out Eaton’s Interior for the best interior solutions and other home or office installations such as the frameless sliding glass door and more in Singapore!